Saturday, November 7, 2009

The New Future of Whatver

picture of a right hand turn in the road with a road sign that say whatever
I love watching videos like this one, it was a portrait of about one half of my life. I was a teenager a long time before the MTV generation. I remember the first 'whatever', it was used as a way for the people I saw to pass the decision making onto someone else, no one wanted to take the responsibility of the decision upon themselves.
The second 'whatever' was a joke to me, someone young and knows everything, telling me 'whatever', I would just stand there in sadness, knowing that person did not have a clue and would probably be serving me french fries in a few years. So sad, and luckily I did not grow up around people of that attitude.
When Dr. Wesch talked about the writing skills and verbal abuse perpetrated on the comments on some web sites, especially you-tube, I felt his attitude, having seen this myself. I think of the ignorance of all of these people, young and old, and wonder if the light will ever shine inside their heads?
Well, all you can do is hope that this young generation of children will have a better perspective of the global consciousness. If you would like to see Dr. Weschs video thenclick here

2 comments:

  1. Dr. Wesch, at least in the last minute of his talk, holds out hope that the new communications media will foster new conversations that may lead to a more caring world. Given the events in this class, what do you think are the prospects for his hopes to be attained?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, John. Good job keeping up on your posts. I like coming back to your blog. Knowing the experiences you have mentioned, thankfully you aren't a student in a college with a bunch of young know-it-alls. Wait a second, you are...ha ha.

    ReplyDelete