Tuesday, October 13, 2009

New Media Literacies

picture of a question mark
One minute in to this video and I had that strange feeling again, and I knew I was watching a video with young people getting caught up in applying new terms to just everyday experience. Case in point, the young lady who talked about 'play: the capacity to experiment with your surroundings as a form of problem solving'. Okay, lets' say she had a problem in her office, is she going to rearrange her furniture to help her solve said problem? If I have a problem in my front yard, what do I experiment with? If I have a problem at work do I experiment with my coworkers?
Now negotiation: knowing how to enter different groups and how to understand what the different norms are? She said it as a question, as if she didn't know exactly what it meant. Negotiation: the process of coming to an agreement that is suitable to all parties. What she is talking about is life experience, when you are with a new group of people and you fit in or you do not. Do you honestly think everyone is going to like you? Different norms? everyone is different and like hangs with like, that's the way its always been, you work with people, you do not have to be their friend, just be sociable and polite and do your job.
And now multitasking, which has been proven to not be as efficient as focusing on one problem and getting it done, two things okay, but concentrating on many things while trying to be productive is a waste of your companies time.
And now the term 'citizen', is this the new catch phrase for someone who is involved with the community? Am I not a good citizen if I do not what? History is repeating itself again.
This is so close to a media transcendentalism that I don't what to say really. Logic seems to have gone out the window. Everyone be a good citizen and tell on your neighbor if they do something you do not like. If you would like to see the videoclick here

1 comment: