Sunday, August 23, 2009

creativity

Very interesting speech, the creativity of the human mind has been with us for quite some time as exampled with the cave drawings that our ancestors left us. Growing up in Alabama's public school system, I had many opportunities in art, music, and dance. Mr. Robinson gives a fine point on how some children are not exposed, on purpose, to the arts. The arts are a past time, not something needed for a proper job. Without creativity, just think how bland life would be.
Alabama's school system has, since I can remember, always had an opportunity for anyone in school to take an arts type class. I'm not aware of any school system that doesn't offer these types of classes. It seems if that is the case, then the parents or guardians would be responsible for any opinion about such topics. I was encouraged to do something, draw, paint, sing whatever, just sing. Mr. R is telling me that more needs to be done to entice children into the arts, but if the parents don't do it, and at school its just a choice, what then?
I just hope I'm able to somehow use music to teach math. And you want to spark the imagination of some young person into the arts, just talk about it, if you make it fun, kids will listen. Take for example Mr. R's speech, it is was not boring, it was comical.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that creativity is important in a young student's life. Creativity is just as important as math, science, and or any other subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you trying to use music in your classroom. I think a teacher should find interesting activities to relate to their daily work for the students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do we encourage creativity in ALL classes?

    ReplyDelete